LOCOMOTIVE WORK NEEDED
Although work has been started on the firebox of Number 11, other things have been found after a through examination of the engine.
Thin spots have been found in the flue back sheet along with some welding on tubes and in the fire box. Some possible bad tubes have also been found in the smoke box.
Even at that the boiler inspector has said that these problems will not be hazardous if the locomotive can pass its hydrostatic test upon completion of the present riveting project now in progress.
The shay, number 3, is presently out of service due to a number of leaking stay bolts. These leaking stay bolts are causing some damage to the boiler sheets, but should be alright once the stay bolts have been replaced.
The throttle valve of the E. J. Lavino, number 10, at Perris has been repaired and installed. Many thanks to our friend Charlie Holcomb for his efforts on the 10 spot. The 10 spot currently has a permit issued by the insurance company which allows the locomotive to be operated with a maximum pressure of 150 lbs.
Charlie has asked us for a fire up on the 10 spot. This is to see if the valve work performed on the engine is satisfactory.
SANTA FE YARD OFFICE
The Santa Fe's yard office at Ash Street was recently acquired by the museum. A mover has been contacted who will move the building for us. Our contract with the Santa Fe calls for the building to be removed by May 1.
The 15 x 18 building probably won't be moved until later, however. It seems that the mover is two months behind with his work because of the rains in January and February.
The museum had been working on a rail trip on the Sonora-Baja California Railway for May, 1969, and another possible trip to Calico later in the spring.
But due to problems of negotiations with the railroads involved, all plans for these trips have been dropped.
Don't be discouraged, though. We are still working on a Mexican trip for some time in the fall of '69.
TWENTY YEARS AGO-APRIL, 1949
"Public transportation in San Diego took a gigantic step forward on April 24, 1949. The date marks the end of nearly 63 years of street car transportation in San Diego."
Those are the words of the TRANSIT TOPICS for April-May, 1949. Most of us rail and traction fans don't agree with these words, and still miss the rattle and clang of the smog less commuter haulers —street cars.
Ever wonder about the highlights of the history of public transportation in San Diego? Well here goes—a brief rundown of the system.
Horse cars of the San Diego Street Car Company started operating on Fifth Avenue in San Diego in July, 1886. The hay burning conveyances started at Fifth and "L" Streets and went up to as far as Fir Street. Horse car lines eventually operated on "D"(now Broadway) Street and on "F" and First Streets as well.
The first electric cars on the Pacific Coast began operation in San Diego in 1887. They at first ran on Kettner Blvd. out to Old Town, but by December they began operating out Fourth Avenue and to the Normal School at park Blvd. and El Cajon.
Cable cars played their part too.
Cable cars were operated over a route similar to the electric cars in 1891-92. They only ran for 13 months before they ran out of money as had the electrics in 1889.
Two of the old cable cars still survive today. They are incorporated in the body of San Diego Electric Railway car 54, now on display at the Whaley House in Old Town.
In January, 1892, John D. Spreckels purchased the San Diego Street Car Company. This became the beginning of the San Diego Electric Railway. By December, 1896 the whole system was electrified.
In 1898, the San Diego Electric purchased the Citizens Traction Company, the successor to the cable car line.
From 1903 to 1912 the San Diego Electric built all of its own cars. Many of them were the lovable California Type cars.
In time the San Diego Electric Railway operated cars to Chula Vista over the former National City and Otay and to Ocean Beach over the former Point Loma Railroad
Continued Next Page.....